Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Patience

Pinterest,com

If there is one thing I have learned while being a restaurant manager, it is patience. I strive to maintain a calm and pleasant appearance even when I have ten things happening at once, a busser wore orange Nikes to work instead of black work shoes, and someone is complaining that their salad is too cold (let me warm that up for you, sir).

But today, I lost it. Only slightly, but still, I shouldn't have. It has been an unusually busy month and I have not had enough "me" time. While I was helping the bartender with a full bar three people back, a server asked me something I had already answered three times, and I snapped at them. I could see the surprise on their face. "How could she be such a meanie-head?" 

I of course immediately apologized. But I still remember moments of people hurting my feelings for no reason other than a question about splitting a check, and it motivated me to be more patient with questions. Because no one is perfect, people will forget things, and in the end who cares? Its just food and booze. Life will go on. 

Well there is my guilty confession for the day. Anyone else have one?

No comments:

Post a Comment