Saturday, June 11, 2011

Homemade Chinese Food



So since I know all of you are wondering,
"what does Kristin eat for dinner every night?"

I figured I would share a new favorite recipe!

I found an amazing sweet and sour chicken recipe here.

I figured it would be kindaaa chinese-food-tasting, but it ended up tasting exactly like it!

Plus it is not too difficult, which means I have made it twice in the past two weeks.

It was even taste-test approved by Mr. Picky himself (boyfriend), who refuses to eat much outside the realm of chicken tenders, lettuce with ranch dressing, "crispy" apples, and fruit snacks.

Sweet and Sour Chicken
from My Kitchen Cafe

3-4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
2 eggs, beaten
1 cup cornstarch
salt & pepper
1/4 cup canola oil (I used olive oil)

Preheat oven to 325 degrees.

Cut boneless chicken breasts into chunks. Season with salt and pepper. Coat chicken in egg and then in cornstarch. Pan fry in oil until golden brown, but not cooked through. Place in a single layer in a baking dish.

 Sauce

3/4 cup sugar
4 tablespoons ketchup
1/2 cup vinegar
(The first time I used balsamic vinegar, the second I used apple cider. Both tasted great.)
                                                                1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 tablespoon garlic powder

Mix all ingredients together and pour over chicken. Bake chicken for 6o minutes, turning every 15 minutes. You can also make extra sauce – add all ingredients to a saucepan and simmer until thick.

I made extra sauce and added it to the chicken halfway through baking. It gave it a really thick coating, which I think helps give it more flavor if you put it on top of rice.

Voila! Dinner. And good leftovers too.




No comments:

Post a Comment